RE: Rationale for line-ending recommendation?

[Followups set to -talk due to apropos but not-necessarily-Cygwin-specific
devolution of the discussion]

> From: Corinna Vinschen
>
> On Dec 19 10:29, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
> > > From: Andrew DeFaria

> > > 99.44% of the
> properly,
> > > 21st century
> > > Touche! Loved it!
> > >
> > > BTW, it's the 21st century over here. Please try to catch up...
> >
> > Another one who believes what their calendar tells them?
> Then riddle
> > me this Andrew: If this were in fact the 21st century (AKA "The
> > Future"), why would we be be discussing software which is able to
> > understand one text file format, but not a second
> ever-so-slightly different text file format?
>
> Yeah, right, if this were in fact the 21st century, why would
> we ever have to deal with a 30 year old,
> idiotic-from-the-start text file format using two line ending chars?
>

> Corinna

A-MEN sister!  But how do you propose we get all these programs to
understand UTF-32 when we can't even get them to handle an extra '\r'
without starting on fire?

;-)

--
Gary R. Van Sickle