Re: MinTTY

Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
Hmm, looks very interesting, I'll give it a try and report back to the
class.  I've been looking for a replacement for my preferred terminal
emulator, MedicineTTY, for quite some time. ;-)

Each to their own. I actually prefer PeaTTY.

1. Good work.

Thanks!

2. Super fast.

That's entirely due to Simon Tatham's excellent PuTTY code. PuTTYcyg, which has a different pty backend with a separate helper process, is just as fast.

3.  Cut and paste in a Unixoid terminal for Cygwin finally conforms to
Windows norms (AKA "The One True Way").  That alone is worth it.

Careful, I think you might be a bit controversial there. :)

4.  I wasn't getting color from ls, but that appears to be a
termcap/terminfo/wrong-bash-invocation issue, as your screenshots clearly
show color support.

Yep, that sounds like a bash invocation issue. If no command is provided on the command line, mintty invokes the current user's default shell from /etc/passwd without additional options, i.e. not as a login shell. It's the same for rxvt and xterm.

Cygwin's bash scripts are designed for login shells only though, i.e. if
you want a proper setup you'll need to either provide a suitable
/etc/bash.bashrc or ~/.bashrc, or invoke the bash within mintty as a login shell:

mintty bash -l

The shortcut created by create_shortcut.js will do just that.

5. It needs a regular Windows installer.

That does seem a little bit unnecessary when all that's needed is the exe, but I suppose that quite a lot of users would appreciate the convenience of just double-clicking an installer.

5a. I'm good with Windows installers.  You want I should whip one up for
you?

That would be great, since I haven't got a clue about how to do that. Ideally it would be a .msi that installs just the exe and the readme into %PROGRAMFILES%\MinTTY and puts a shortcut to the exe directly into Start Menu\Programs.

Cheers,
Andy