Re: [1.7] Cygwin 1.7 misnames hardlinks

On Dec 23 20:09, Lawrence Mayer wrote:
> Cygwin 1.7-37 and -36 misname certain hardlinks by adding an extra .exe
> extention: e.g.
> 	ln vgaoem.fon ..
> creates vgaoem.fon.exe in the parent directory, not vgaoem.fon as expected.
>
> The same bug occurs with
> 	cp -l vgaoem.fon ..
>
> This bug occurs when hardlinking all .fon files I have tried, most .sys
> files, and some .dll, .com, .drv, .scr, .tlb, ...etc files. The bug appears
> consistent: a given file either always or never gets misnamed.

I reproduced and (hopefully) fixed it in CVS.  Thanks for the report.

However, there's another problem which I'm puzzeling over when trying
the above.  I created a hardlink from C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\vgaoem.fon to
the same file in my home directory:

  $ pwd
  /home/corinna
  $ ln /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/Fonts/vgaoem.fon .
  $ ls -l vga*
  -rwxrwx---+ 2 Administrators SYSTEM 5168 Feb 28  2006 vgaoem.fon

That's nice, but then:

  $ rm -f vgaoem.fon
  rm: cannot remove `vgaoem.fon': Permission denied

And that occurs even though I'm administrator and the unlink(2) call
uses the FILE_OPEN_FOR_BACKUP_INTENT flag.  The same happens with all
hardlinks to files used by the system.  The NT status code returned when
trying to set the delete disposition flag is C0000121,
STATUS_CANNOT_DELETE.  None of the Windows native methods to delete
these hardlinks works.  I'm still puzzeled how to get rid of them.
Does anybody knows how to do that?

Corinna

Red Hat