Re: Did anyone download the Windows 7 beta?

Fredrik Staxeng wrote:

Backspace dowes not work at the momemt, so you'll have to suffer all my spelling errors and greneral steeam-of-consciusness style. it's not pretty , i know, but I dont have very much time nowe. i need to restore the old drive in this machine before tomorrow so that i can work.

i have installed windows 7, and cygwin on that. unfortunalety it does not work very well .

i am wtriting this in an xterm m winfow on windows 7, sshd to a linux box. hence the backspace key sends control-h, y

* soory * I had to scream .

limited testing it seemed to be ok.  vim worked, bash worked, ssh and
sshd worked.

but not emacxs.

fi

i'll tyry to list some problems. -
soory, i really have a hard time keeping my fingers off the backspace key.

- the cygwin command prompt works
- emacs brings up the welcomme message, but when I do CX CF on a shell
scrippt file it han gs , going into a lopp peeging one of the cores
- the startwi XWin server menu item brings up the server, and a copule of
other windows flaash by.
- starting xterm from the cygwin prompt i get the old ddl failure, o so I did do a rebaseall
- the starting xterm works, so I can d ssh and post this

Now, on linux the backspace key sends }}In 127. Please make that the default.
It's the right thing for us emacs users, and it does not hurt anybody else.

I am actually working on downloading Windows 7 from TechNet Plus. Once downloaded and installed I may be able to do some cygwin testing but I'm going to poke around a bit first. This will be a normal install and not done inside a VM.

--
Robert Pendell
shinji@elite-systems.org

"A perfect world is one of chaos."