Re: RFD: cygwin + *native* MinGW compiler

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 09:38:47 -0500, Ralph Hempel <rhempel@bmts.com> wrote:
> Charles Wilson wrote:
>> Pursuant to a discussion on the libtool list, I'm trying to get a feel
>> for how many cygwin users rely on the cygwin environment to drive the
>> *native* MinGW gcc compiler.  That is, incantations like this:
>
> <snip>
>
> I find myself bouncing around between cygwin and mingw because
> each one helps me accomplish different tasks.
>
> I use the Cygwin environment (including vim) for the actual
> software development of embedded systems, and to host the
> different gcc flavours needed for each target processor. There's
> lots of great tools ready to go, and it's now possible
> to drive the install from the command line, which makes it
> easy to reproduce a specific workstation configuration.
>
> Occasionally, I want to compile special tools that I can
> redistribute without source, so I use mingw for that.
>
> I have a build framework for embedded systems that I use for
> all my projects - even PC based ones. If I'm compiling third
> party software that comes with a makefile or autoconf script
> then I'll use that.
>
> Once you start designing makefiles that have to work with
> multiple compiler versions and flags and include and library
> paths, it gets complicated very quickly :-)
>
> One reason I have not tried to drive the native MinGW compiler
> is because of the path issues for includes and libraries. I
> was worried that Cygwin includes and libraries would accidentally
> get referenced.
>
> Ralph
>
> --

Actually I am using cygwin because there are many packages, adn a good
installer but I will
switch completely to mingw if I could get the same.
Couldn't be possible to share more things between the two projects ?
I mean for instance share the cywgin installer that could allow people to
install cygwin and mingw
on two different places to avoid lib/path issues.
For instance :

C:\gnu\cygwin
C:\gnu\mingw
C:\gnu\home

They could share for instance the same home directory ...
Last time I tried to compile something with cygwin targeting mingw it just
failed...