Re: Finding either boot time or login time

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 10:33 AM, Ronald Fischer
<fischerr.external@infineon.com> wrote:
> Eric Blake <ebb9 <at> byu.net> writes:
>> man uptime
>
> I have thought of uptime, but this requires doing date calculation (I have to
> subtract the uptime from the current time), which I wanted to avoid; plus I
> wanted to have it reproducible (i.e. if I calculate the "startup time" twice
> in succession, I wanted to get the same result - using the uptime calculation
> might well give differences of, say, one, in rare cases 2, seconds for the
> startup time on repeated calculations.
>
> But it seems there is no alternative. I had not expected that Windows would
> not log such events, like starting up or having some user logged in...
>
> Ronald

This information is available in windows by using one of two commands:
    net stats srv
or
    systeminfo

In both cases, you will need to grep (if calling from cygwin) or use
the windows "find" command (equivalent of grep), to isolate just the 1
line.

I've noticed that, on Vista, "net stats srv" always seems to return
1980, while systeminfo returns the correct result.

If that doesn't work for you, I'm sure there are other ways to do it.
You might need to write some vbs and query WMI to get the uptime
(http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/resources/qanda/sept04/hey0907.mspx)
 Or you can install the "uptime" tool from Microsoft
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/232243)