Several problems upgrading cygwin & cygwin/x on Feb. 3-4 via kernel.org mirror

PREFACE

On Feb. 3rd, I did an upgrade (simply downloaded the new setup.exe and
ran it) which I thought was successful.  I shut down X completely (with
the exception of the X server) before starting the upgrade.  During the
upgrade, it complained about not being able to upgrade a file (I don't
recall which file it was).  At that point, I realized that I had simply
shut down all X clients and not the X server.  After shutting down the X
server, the upgrade continued.

However, X would not start and the symptom and solution appeared
identical to:

Renaming the /etc/setup/bash.list.gz to something else allowed the
install to proceed further ...

Here's part of what I got out of crash dump via Visual Studio:

Unhandled exception at 0x004f42cb in cygwin-1.5.25-15.setup.exe:
0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00fcff50.
First-chance exception at 0x004f42cb in cygwin-1.5.25-15.setup.exe:
0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00fcff50.

Installation continued OK until mhash-0.9.1-1.  This time there wasn't
even a /etc/setup/mhash.list.gz to check.

After trying to reproduce this problem, setup.exe found hundreds of
files that needed to be updated to new versions.  So, it seemed that the
mirror was catching up to recently changed files.  No, setup still
crashed part way through installation.

--- CURRENT ISSUE ---

Now setup says the setup.ini file is older than the last one used.

For every module installed, a pop-up requestor comes up with bash
initiated error:

The procedure entry point strtoimax could not be located in the dynamic
link library cygwin1.dll.

After clicking OK to a couple dozen such requesters, the setup completes
saying "Nothing needed to be installed".

Now my installation issue is nearly identical to:

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2009-01/msg00013.html

By now it would seem that my installation may be corrupted.

I tried following the instructions in:

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree-announce/2008-11/msg00000.html

Now the bash shell fails with the pop-up:

bash.exe - Entry Point Not Found

Entry point strtoimax could not be located in the dynamic link library
cygwin1.dll.

Any suggestions on how to fix my installation or delete it and
re-install?

Thanks!