Cygwin Bash Shell fails to start, because cygreadline6.dll was not found

Installation steps:

1) I removed the cygwin directory and all cygwin registry
   entries due to previous failed cygwin upgrade attempts.
   A description of those irrelevant problems can be found here:

2) I downloaded and ran setup version 2.573.2.3.

3) I selected "Install from Internet", All Users/Unix, a
   non-default package location, and http://mirrors.kernel.org.

4) I used the default selection of just the Base packages.

5) I was notified of the following missing dependencies:

Package: bzip2
	Required by: man

Package: crypt
	Required by: coreutils

Package: cygutils
	Required by: cygwin-doc

Package: groff
	Required by: man

Package: less
	Required by: man

Package: libesd-devel
	Required by: libesound-devel

Package: libesd0
	Required by: libesound0

Package: libfreetype-devel
	Required by: libfreetype2-devel

Package: libfreetype6
	Required by: libfreetype26

Package: libiconv2
	Required by: alternatives, coreutils, grep

Package: libintl3
	Required by: alternatives, grep

Package: libintl8
	Required by: alternatives, bash, coreutils, findutils, gawk

Package: libpcre0
	Required by: grep

Package: libX11_6
	Required by: xorg-x11-bin-dlls

6) The check box was left filled in, so these dependent packages
   would be installed.

7) I selected the creation of an Icon on the desktop and
   the Start Menu.

8) Setup exited normally.

---

Steps to repeat the issue:

1) Select menu item Start -> Programs -> Cygwin -> Cygwin Bash Shell

2) The Cygwin Bash Shell window opens with no text displayed.

2) A window pops up with the following text and an OK button:

This application has failed to start because cygreadline6.dll
was not found.  Re-installing the application may fix this
problem.

3) After clicking the OK button, Cygwin Bash Shell terminates
abnormally.

---

Attempts to fix this problem:

1) Tried to reinstall base system.

2) Could not find cygreadline6.dll in setup Libs category.

3) Problem as described above remains.

---

My system runs MS Windows XP with Service Pack 2.

How can I get Cygwin installed such that it works properly?

Thanks!