Re: cydwin not starting - cygreadline6.dll missing

I can confirm this issue.  I have never tried to install 1.7 on my machine.

After a total wipe of Cygwin (using the instructions at
http://cygwin.com/faq.html section 2.17), I attempted to reinstall
Cygwin.  I used http://mirrors.xmission.com as the download site.  I
accepted the default set of packages.

When running /etc/postinstall/update-info-dir.sh during the
installation, I got this error:

  This application has failed to start because cygreadline6.dll was not found.  Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

When I click OK, I get the same error for each of the other
/etc/postinstall scripts.

I have tried with http://mirrors.kernel.org and got the same problem.

libreadline does not appear in the package list!

On Thu 2009-02-05 10:11, Warren Young wrote:
> Luca.Maltagliati@aero.jussieu.fr wrote:
> >
> > I installed cydwin (I have windows XP (SP3)) with the setup.exe, adding
> > only the openssh to the basic.
>
> I don't suppose you tried, first, to install Cygwin 1.7, then later
> installed 1.5?  If so, this and other bad things will happen.  See:
>
> 	http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2009-01/msg00659.html
>
> The fix is to go back through setup.exe, and do a forced reinstall of
> bash, libreadline, and libncurses, at minimum.
>
> Either that, or totally nuke your 1.7 attempt and retry the 1.5 install
> from scratch.
>
> > Searching the package list gave me back zero results
>
> That's weird.  I can confirm.  It should give you libreadline6-*.  Maybe
> there's something broken with the package indexer.
>
> --

Tom Schutter
First American - Proxix Solutions
303-440-7272 x6822