Re: gcc compile problem: error: stray \168 in program

Ok here are more clues and I think this should help you:

1. From the command prompt from windows, I tried this
    - od -tx1 <ENTER>
    - "<ENTER> (Note:  I have to  type double  quotes  twice always and  I
get two double quotes. I
                      use backspace to remove one every time. A single
double quotes produces no output on
                      the  screen )
    -<CTRL-D>

-------------BEGIN------------
0000000 22 0a
0000002
-------------END------------

2.From xterm
  Now I cannot  get to type the double quotes at  all. Also within vi in
xterm.

  From windows command prompt, the double quotes gets printed as explained
in 1 above (have to type it twice to get 2 "s , use backspace to delete one
to finally get 1 " , as explained above. )

 I closed everything and launched xterm again and still I cant get to  type
the " in xterm or vi within xterm.

Hope these inputs help you

CHeers
CM