Re: How can I ssh to a Windows box?

Michael Hennebry <hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Mar 2009, Wilfried wrote:
>
> > Michael Hennebry <hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:
> >
> >> On Mon, 9 Mar 2009, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> >> I've discovered that if I kill the demon,
> >> I still get timeout from the outside,
> >> but connection refused locally.
> >
> > If you can login to ssh locally but not from the outside, perhaps your
> > Windows' firewall is blocking this.
>
> That was my thought, too,
> but it seems to be correct and turning it off didn't help.
> Could I be missing a similar flag somewhere?

Perhaps some antivirus software?

Also have a look in
(windows') control panel - administration - event viewer - application
Any entries for sshd?
Any error entries?

In cygwin/etc, is there a file named "hosts.allow" ?
It should be there and contain a line

sshd: ALL

or a list of allowed hosts, see e.g.
http://linux.about.com/od/commands/l/blcmdl5_hostsal.htm

> > Start the service by
> >
> > cygrunsrv -S sshd
>
> No go.
> Win32 error 1062
> I tried again after making the rest of /etc system:system .
> Same no go.

Did you issue all these command while having windows administrator
rights? The service can only be installed while logged in with
administrator rights.

The sshd service should also be displayed in Windows' services list.
(following is my translation to English, maybe it's actually named
differently, but I haven't access to an English WinXP:)
Control panel - administration - computer administration - services and
applications - services
It shows as
service name: sshd
start type: automatic
status: ended

You can also look in to the task manager.
It should show up as sshd.exe with user "SYSTEM".

(Also with admin rights) open a command prompt ("DOS box") and enter

netstat -a

It should display

  TCP   computername:ssh     computername:0    LISTENING

Repeat this after making a local connection.

--
Wilfried Hennings