Re: Using Cygwin compiled libs in Visual Studio

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
Olumide wrote:
Hello,

Is it possible or recommended to use a Cygwin compiled lib file or dll in Visual studio? The problem is that although I'm doing my development in Visual Studio, a number of the sources I intend to use have Cygwin makefiles but no Visual studio projects.

See:

<http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.programming.msvs-mingw>
<http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.programming.msvcrt-and-cygwin>

You're probably more interested in the MinGW project <mingw.org>. It uses MS's CRT, which will likely make your intended melding easier.

If you're serious about Visual Studio, but don't mind bending Microsoft rules, modify those Makefiles so as to build with VS compiler and linker. You would likely need many of the same changes as for mingw, and could still use cygwin make, if that's what you are considering.