Re: [1.7] Support for CJK Character Sets

On Apr  7 02:51, neomjp wrote:
> On 2009/04/06 20:04, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > > After some long mulling over this problem, I gave up on supporting JIS.
>
> > > So, I removed JIS support from Cygwin again. Given that SJIS and eucJP
> > > are both available, this shoudn't pose a big problem for Japanese users.
>
> 	Ok, I understand. I was starting to write a mail about the
> differences among CP50220-50222, but I will quit it.

I would nevertheless be glad if you would write something up about them,
so we have it in the records should we ever re-examine this issue.

> > > This is fixed now in CVS.  The fact that eucJP knows triplebyte
> > > sequences but the Windows eucJP codepage 20932 does not (converting
> > > these widechars to incompatible doublebyte sequences instead) was not
> > > really helpful but as far as I can test it, it appears to work now.
>
> 	Thanks for the fix. If the double byte eucJP works, I think it
> is ok.

No, no.  I implemented the full three-byte variation as it is, for
instance, implemented in glibc as well.  Cygwin converts the CP 20932
doublebyte sequences for JIS X 0212 into Unix compatible triplebyte
sequences and vice versa.  So Cygwin applications see a Unix-like
eucJP implementation, not a CP 20932 implementation.

Corinna

Red Hat