RE: Can't run Bash!

Yarin wrote on Monday, May 11, 2009 8:27 PM:
> I'm trying to compile Linux binaries on Windows. To do this, I've
> downloaded and installed Cygwin (along with it's GCC packages).

You are a bit ambiguous here.  Are you trying to compile "linux
binaries" of POSIX code?  For that you need a cross-compiler (about
which I know nothing).

Or are you trying to compile Windows binaries of POSIX code that is
often found on Linux systems?  In which case, you want to do
something like this.

  $ tar -xvf package-ver.tar.gz
  $ cd package-ver
  $ ./configure
  $ make
  $ make install

> It doesn't recognize the command su,

See the FAQ: Why doesn't su work?
http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.using.su

> I'm confronted with this:
> bash-3.2$ _

> and it doesn't begin with x@x

You are getting bash's default prompt.  See
  $ man bash
for how and where to customize your prompt.  (Though Gary Johnson's
advice about using a login shell may address the issue.)

I hope this helps.

- Barry