This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Question of the necessity of rebaseall
- From: "Larry Hall (Cygwin)" <reply-to-list-only-lh at cygwin dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 20:55:00 -0400
- Subject: Re: Question of the necessity of rebaseall
- References: <email@example.com>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
Imagebase in PE header is something a bit of optional, that means if two
dlls with same imagebase, the OS kernel will automaticly relocate one of
them, to put them in different virtual spaces. So, rebase should be a
utility for optimizing the overall start-up speed, to reduce avoidable
relocations, rather then fix start-up errors.
cygwin1.dll cannot be relocated if the fork semantics are to work. So
while what you say above is true for apps in general, it's not true for
Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com
RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
216 Dalton Rd. (508) 893-9889 - FAX
Holliston, MA 01746
> Q: Are you sure?
>> A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
>>> Q: Why is top posting annoying in email?
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html