RE: How to avoid having shell scripts which fail from killing Emacs shell?

I was able to produce an additional clue by writing a custom class for
testing this.

I found that the key is whether the Java class reads from stdin or not.  I
built a first version that takes a filepath on the command line, and whether
I get the class to throw an exception or not, it exits the script without
killing the shell.  However, when I changed the class to also read a line of
input from stdin, whether the filepath on the command line exists or not
(i.e., whether the class throws an exception or not), it kills the shell at
completion of the script.

So, it has something to do with whether the sub-shell reads stdin or not.  I
have no idea what that indicates, but I'm sure that must be useful
information.