Re: setup-1.7.exe command line options

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 04:13:39PM -0500, Thrall, Bryan wrote:
>Andy Koppe wrote on Tuesday, June 23, 2009 4:08 PM:
>
>> Where can I find documentation on the setup-1.7.exe command line
>> options, in particular the one for installing packages without
>> invoking the GUI that I think was added last year?
>>
>> I had a look in all the places I could think of, but without success,
>> and invoking setup with -h, -H, -help or --help does nothing.
>
>I guess you are using an older setup-1.7.exe; When I type 'setup-1.7.exe
>-h', I get:
>
>$ setup-1.7.exe -h
>Starting cygwin install, version 2.629
>Current Directory: E:\My Downloads
>
>Command Line Options:
> -D --download                          Download from internet
> -L --local-install                     Install from local directory
> -s --site                              Download site
> -R --root                              Root installation directory
> -P --packages                          Specify packages to install
>[snip]
>
>Older versions of setup just wrote this output to setup.log and
>setup.log.full in the directory where setup was run, but now it writes
>it to stdout, too :)

Yep.  I added this functionality recently.  It may not work when dumping
to the console since it relies on a Windows function call which isn't
availabe on older versions of Windows.  But this should work:

setup-1.7 -h | cat

(I recently got a cygwin crash doing something like this on Windows NT4.
I plan to debug that crash this weekend)

Also, running it from mintty or with CYGWIN=tty should work as well.

cgf