Re: Slow/sluggish response ("system" task at 50%)

Gene Smith wrote:

Well, it was OK at first after a reinstall with the "default" setup, enough to run and build a project with an cross compiled embedded toolchain. But when I install gcc, make, svn etc (enough to compile the openocd project) then it is slow again. I ran strace on the make process again and see lines like this that look bad:

3688545 13178956 [proc_waiter] make 868 pinfo::maybe_set_exit_code_from_windows: pid 9176, exit value - old 0x8000000, windows 0xDEADBEEF, cygwin 0x8000000n/

The "deadbeef" sounds like a marker of some sort?

This delay occur repetitively and many times during the build.

I think the *exact* same problem is pointed to by this thread:
Unfortunately, no solution is described. :(

If I set my windows path into /usr/bin of cygwin, I can run the same build in a dos cmd window and it runs fast. For me, it is only slow in the cygwin terminal. However, for my co-worker, it seems to be slow for him too in the dos box (I have no idea why).

Going back to beta-1.7 default install that ran fast I noticed that it was actually using a mingw32 version of "make" from winavr project and not the cygwin "make". The default cygwin install does not include make. When I load the cygwin make package and the build uses it (since cygwin puts its paths ahead of windows path) the build slows way down. If I remove make from cygwin's /bin it speeds back up (since using the mingw32 make).

The build referred to above uses a toolchain built for mingw32, not cygwin's gcc. So as long as make is also built for mingw32 the build is fast when run from cygwin terminal or dos window. With make being the cygwin version, the build is slow in all cases.

What does this mean? Am I doing something illegal mixing cygwin and mingw programs?