Re: "bash: $'\r': command not found"; also "e"s nonfunctional and get deleted in bash window

Richard Haney wrote:

> I imagine that the messages involving "\r" have something to do with the
> \r\n conventions.  So I should mention that I use WordPad to edit
> bash-initialization files.

  That'll be the cause of the problem then; wordpad is a windows program, so
it tends to use windows-style CR/LF line ends.  You can still use it to edit
shell scripts, but always remember to run "d2u" on them afterward.

    cheers,
      DaveK