Re: $DISPLAY variable empty after SSHing

mcoughlin wrote:
Well it is good to know that it is doable.

My computer is running Windows Vista, the middle computer runs Red Hat 3, and the work computer runs Red Hat 4.

ssh -X computer #2

Warning: untrusted X11 forwarding setup failed: xauth key data not generated
Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11 forwarding.
These warnings are significant. Why don't you resolve them first then see if the problem persists.

Note I have not totally figured out what causes this and what the proper solution is. It does involve using xauth and adding the proper auth key. My internet research on this has yielded hazy results. I also noticed that this tends to happen when you are not yourself. By that I mean that I've seen this happen when I su as somebody else then do an ssh to another machine. IOW somethings screwy in the authentication of the user thuse ssh/X considers it unsafe and perhaps is not passing along the proper DISPLAY because of this.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to phish and he'll suck your bank account dry