Re: gcc4.4

Vincent R. wrote:

>>   And then after that.....  I'll probably be more inclined to go
> straight
>>   for
>> a test version of 4.5.0, and skip over 4.4 series altogether.
>
> Is there any reason to ignore 4.4 family ?

  Main reason, as Eric suggests, is time.  I've had to prepare and test a big
set of patches for GCC HEAD, then do a lot of the same work again backporting
them to 4.3, I really just don't have the time, drive space, cpu cycles or
motivation to do it all a third time for 4.4 series.  Also, I think 4.5 series
is going to be better than 4.4; there were some aliasing problems that
couldn't be worked around that have since been fixed by a rewrite of the
affected area, IIRC, and I expect the Fortran-and-number-crunching folks will
enjoy playing with the new Graphite loop optimisations.

    cheers,
      DaveK