Re: Cygwin 1.7 message queues - permission denied error still exists

On Sep 13, 2009, at 12:22 PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 12:13:42PM -0400, Philip Semanchuk wrote:
Hi all,
I'm fooling around with POSIX IPC under Cygwin 1.7 beta and message
queues still seem to be broken per the description in this thread:

That thread says that a fix is in "-29" [1]. I'm not sure what version
I have, but I downloaded my Cygwin 1.7 in August and I see that cygwin-
dev is discussing 1.7.0-60, so I assume that my Cygwin is sufficiently
up to date.

Should this bug be fixed, or...? Is there anything I can do to help?

You need to read the rest of the thread: http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2008-08/msg00617.html

I *did* read the entire thread before I sent my mail. I see one person reporting success, but I have twice as many reporting failure. I'm wondering if the bug in question didn't get completely fixed.

[1] - As a Cygwin n00b, I don't know how to get the cygwin release
number. I checked the FAQ, but it says, "If you are looking for the
version number for the whole Cygwin release, there is none." I'd be
happy to report my release number if someone can clue me in.

Being a "n00b" doesn't grant you a "Get Out of Jail Free" card from paying attention. Every message to this list ends with this:

I cut and paste the above from the message that you referenced. If you
had followed the link for problem reports you would know how to find the
version number.

Well, the first link on that page is to the Cygwin FAQ which tells me that what I'm looking for doesn't exist. Ignoring that and reading problems.html I'm still at a loss as to how to get the exact cygwin version number.

Before I sent my first mail I tried to parse the output from cygcheck but it's pretty overwhelming. I also ran 'uname -srv' didn't contain anything that looked like a relevant version number. I also scanned Cygwin-dev to see approximately what version number was current. I would have been happy to follow a more efficient (and informative) path.

bye
Philip