Installing 1.7 alongside 1.5 - can it be done safely?

I have found some serious issues with Cygwin 1.5 that I want to test
against in the 1.7 beta, before I commit to abandoning 1.5.

Is it possible to install Cygwin 1.7 on the same PC/filesystem as
Cygwin 1.5, yet maintain absolute independence between the two
versions?

I don't want the 1.7 install to change anything in my existing 1.5
install, as I need my 1.5 functional for other purposes.

Is it a simple matter of installing to a different path (e.g.
c:\cygwin1.7), or will the 1.7 install overwrite anything (e.g.
environment variables, registry entries) that 1.5 might require?

-- David.