Re: Cygwin Set up - Migrate to new machine

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 03:42:52PM -0400, Kevin Holleran wrote:
> I am building a new laptop and was wondering if there was a way I
> could copy some ini or setup file from cygwin to the new one so that
> the cygwin installer would install the same packages as opposed to
> having to go through and tweak the install to get it the way I want it
> again.

This is not an exact solution to your issue, but no one else posted
(yet) so here is my two cents.

This method duplicates the collection of software that you installed
on your old computer to your new computer. It does not copy settings
such as password list, custom mounts, and so forth.

On your old machine, execute the cygwin setup program and observe the
value of "Local Package Directory" in the GUI. This value will appear
on the fourth screen.

Recursively copy the file system directory that is the above "Local
Package Directory" from your old computer to your new computer. Any way
you can. Windows Networking, rsync, whatever.

Now execute the cygwin setup program on your new computer.

On the second screen, select the option "Install from Local
Directory." Note that at some point in the future, you will want to
switch back to the original choice, "Install from Internet." The setup
program remembers your settings, so you have to explicitly return to
this setting. Later.

For now, continue to the fourth screen. Enter a value for "Local
Package Directory" which is where you recursively copied all your
stuff from old computer to new computer.

On the fifth screen (categories), choose an appropriate setting for
the "all" entry. I think "Reinstall" should do it.

That's all.