Re: Error in [1.7] involving /netrel/src/cygwin-1.7.0-61/winsup/cygwin/mount.cc

Fergus wrote:

> $ ./this_is_the_user_executable.exe
> assertion "root_idx != -1" failed: file
> "/netrel/src/cygwin-1.7.0-61/winsup/cygwin/mount.cc", line 363,
> function: void mount_info::init()
> Stack trace:

> Crazy I know, but is there anything obviously wrong (or recently
> changed) with mount.cc at your end?

  You can easily check the ChangeLogs using the viewcvs feature at the Cygwin
website to answer questions like that:

http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/src/winsup/cygwin/mount.cc?cvsroot=src

  There have of course been vast changes in everything relating to mount
points and path handling between 1.5 and 1.7, so asking "what's changed" isn't
likely to help narrow it down because the answer is "almost all of it has
changed at least a bit".

  The assertion appears to be indicating that it's got as far as attempting to
mount /bin and /lib without having first managed to find the root mountpoint
for '/'.  Is there something corrupt in your /etc/fstab?

    cheers,
      DaveK