bash 3.2.49(23): when I start a bash window, $HOME is the DOS value rather than /home/lwv27

--- On Fri, 10/23/09, Larry Hall (Cygwin) <reply-to-list-only-lh@cygwin.com> wrote:

> From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) <reply-to-list-only-lh@cygwin.com>
> Sounds like at least one postinstall script didn't run
> correctly and that
> you've done some "fiddling" to try to fix things up.?

Well, about all the fiddling that I've done is try to set some variables in the .bashrc file - but that doesn't even appear to be used by default yet.

> I can say this much:
>
> ? 1. At least some postinstall scripts didn't run
> properly.? If they had,
> ? ? you should have /home/lvirden and $HOME would
> point to that.

$ echo $HOME
/cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/lwv27

$ ls ~lwv27
ls: cannot access /home/lwv27: No such file or directory

$ ls /home
Olentangy  rzt27

Neither of these directories under /home are associated with me. They are, however, associated with the person who is running setup .

The admin, rzt27, is running Cygwin's setup on his machine, installing the various packages, until he gets things where they seem to work. He then uses a function of a package called LANDesk to replicate the environment on someone else's machine.

> Off the top of my head, I can't reconcile that and $HOME
> pointing to something
> different.? So take a look around these areas and also
> look at the resolution rules
> spelled out in '/etc/profile' to see if that helps you spot
> the issue.

/etc/profile says that it looks for $HOME first in the Windows environment.

When I open a cmd.exe and type set, I see HOME (as well as HOMEDRIVE and HOMEPATH variables) that point to c:\documents and settings\lwv27 .

(I apologize about the lvirden reference - that's my email and I typed in the wrong info in the one line of the earlier email.)

> If you need more help, please follow the problem reporting
> guidelines found here:
>
> <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>

Okay, I have attached the cygcheck output to this email.