Re: dg-error vs. i18n?

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

>> Can I get a STC which shows the aforementioned problem?

  BTW, I don't see why this is anything other than a gcc testsuite problem; if
we want to use UTF-8 as the default encoding in the C locale, who's to say we
shouldn't?  I think it's just up to the testsuite to set the right flags for
the known target platform, isn't it?  The only thing I think we might benefit
from is a "US-ASCII" alias for CP437, perhaps.

> Somehow I don't understand how a test application running in the "C"
> locale could emit characters outside the ASCII range at all and another
> part of the test expects the emitted character to be in the ASCII range.
> How did that happen?

  The test was written long before GCC was updated to internationalise and
unicode-aware its error messages.  Once it started doing fancy output, rather
than update the testsuite to allow all the different forms of quotes etc.,
it was simplest to just force the C locale to suppress the generation of
utf-whatever fancy quotes.  That worked only as long as the default encoding
in the C locale happened to be ASCII... which it was for most systems until
fairly recently, but now it's not just us but some of the linux distros are
moving to UTF-8 by default as well and they have the same problem.

    cheers,
      DaveK