Re: pseudo-hang during postinstall

On 10/28/2009 09:36 PM, Jeffrey Friedl wrote:
Once it's working, it's working, except that I can't start sshd as a
service. If I open a shell and run /usr/sbin/sshd by hand, it's fine.

Does any of this ring a bell?

Other than the part about sshd, no. As for sshd, since you've run it by hand, and I'm assume you didn't do so from a LocalSystem-owned shell, you're guaranteed that you won't be able to run it as a service now without undoing everything that you did (and most of that is stuff that I'm sure you didn't realize you were doing at the time). If you never plan to allow more than the user you're running the service as to log in with sshd, then that's OK. Otherwise, you have a problem. Sorry if this sounds harsh. I'm just not a fan of reading the plight of people on this list that can't get sshd running because of this. I know, in your case you couldn't get it to run as a service before this. But now, you're further away from being able to do it, if that's ever a goal.

Holliston, MA 01746