Re: Symbolic links on NTFS with real symbolic links

On 10/29/2009 01:26 AM, Neil Mowbray wrote:
Dear Folks,

On NTFS systems that support real symbolic links (eg those with Vista)
the comand ln -s does *not* create a native symbolic link merely an old
style shortcut.

Will ln -s be chansed to support native symbolic links?

No, not until, at least, native symbolic links don't require elevated privileges to
use.

Also rm<link>  removes the target of the symbolic link not the link file.
Is this what you want?

Please provide a simple test case with the associated information requested by <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>. I cannot reproduce this behavior. Of course, I'm using Cygwin 1.7 <http://cygwin.com/#beta-test> on Windows 7. You may want to see if you can reproduce the behavior on 1.7 before reporting it though, since 1.5 isn't going to be updated anymore. FWIW, if you don't care for the Windows shortcut-style symlinks, my guess is you'll be less enthused with the "new" special text file that 1.7 uses. Them's the breaks. ;-)

Holliston, MA 01746