Re: rsync appends .exe extension

On Nov  5 12:43, Peter wrote:
> Dear Corinna
> Thanks for you kind support.
>
> >So you're running rsync from the Linux source side.  Hmm, that's a problem
> >for debugging.  Can you turn this around and run rsync from the Cygwin
> >target side?  Does the same problem occur?  I expect it will.
> >
> Its even simpler, I can run it locally on the cygwin install to
> reproduce the error:

Yeah, it's nothing to do with rsync specificially, it's a property
of the rename(2) call.

> >It should definitely not happen with files ending in .exe.  A couple
> >of questions:
> >
> Sorry, I was inaccurate, it does not happen on .exe, only on .com  ,
> .sys  and .src

That's good news at least.  I'm contemplating a change so that every
Windows binary, which is supposed to get any .suffix at all (up to three
or four characters) in rename(2) will not get the .exe suffix attached.
That should fix most scenarios in which binaries are renamed.

Corinna

Red Hat