Re: putty isn't displaying correctly with 1.7

On 12/25/2009 10:58 PM, Wes S wrote:
Below is excerpt from man file on touch.  Highlighted text is showing
strange characters when I use putty to ssh in.  It was working fine
before the 1.7 upgrade.

How do I fix this?

Thanks,

Wes

âd, ââdate=STRING parse STRING and use it instead of current time

âf (ignored)

âm change only the modification time

        âr, ââreference=FILE
               use this fileâs times instead of current time

        ât STAMP
               use [[CC]YY]MMDDhhmm[.ss] instead of current time

        ââtime=WORD
               change the specified time: WORD is access, atime, or use: equivâ
               alent to âa WORD is modify or mtime: equivalent to âm

ââhelp display this help and exit

Those look like "international" characters to me, i.e., UTF or some such. man (actually, the formatting tool behind it) likes to generate these for hyphens. In the past, we had LANG=C and it had no choice; now with LANG=en_US.UTF-8 or LANG=C.UTF-8 it generates them. While it is somewhat brain-damaged to do so, I found the "fix" to be to set LANG=C .... YMMV -- Eliot Moss