/var/lib/alternatives/gcc missing for alternatives 1.3.30c

Dear Folks,

The scripts /bin/set-gcc-default-[34].sh are written to use alternatives to
install gcc-3 and gcc-4.  But /var/lib/alternatives/gcc is missing.

I tried to create it using g++ as an example but all functions failed with
an
error failed to read link /usr/bin/gcc.exe (which is the orginal problem).

I look for the source but the cygwin alternatives src tar ball doesn't
contain
the source nor can I find it on cygwin.com or with a quick google search.

So I write this message.

Can someone please provide a valid /var/lib/alternatives/gcc file or link
me to either it's syntax or the programs source?

Regards, Neil