Re: AddAccessAllowedAce(, owner) failed: 1337

On 02/16/2010 03:28 PM, Stephen Grant Brown wrote:
Hi Larry,
Thanks for your quick response.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Larry Hall (Cygwin)"
Sent: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 6:13 AM
Subject: Re: AddAccessAllowedAce(, owner) failed: 1337

On 02/16/2010 01:20 AM, Stephen Grant Brown wrote:
Again no output from the 1.7 cygcheck

Is the cygwin1.dll from 1.5 still in memory and being accessed by the
cygcheck in 1.7 when I renamed it?

Am I correct in saying that I am not getting any output from the
cygcheck from 1.7?

How do you suggest I run cygcheck?

I'm not sure. 'cygcheck' doesn't require 'cygwin1.dll' to run. It's a pure Win32 program. If it's not running, that points to something local getting in it's way. Again, I can only think of BLODA or other type of security application/service. Is there anything else you're running that fits this description? I also find it odd that 'cygcheck' from 1.5 runs while 1.7 doesn't. Perhaps the output (_attached_) from the 1.5 version will provide some insight if you can't find anything else causing the problem.

--
Larry Hall

I have had symantec running before but I have removed it to the best of my ability (I have not reformatted the hard disk and started with a fresh install of windows.)

cygcheck from 1.5 produces output.
cygcheck from 1.7 does not.
How does cygcheck determine the location of the cygin installation to
check?

It looks in the registry for a pointer to it. It's the same information you get from 'mount'. Does that work? Does 'cygcheck -cd' work?

Can I use the cygcheck from 1.5 to check the installation of 1.7?

No, but it will tell you about 1.5. If your 1.7 is truly DOA, it might be good to know if your 1.5 results suggest anything.

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 216 Dalton Rd. (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746