Re: Problems with mutt & charset

On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 12:00:54PM +0000, Andy Koppe wrote:
> Gary:

> > I have the following environment variables set
> > LANG = "en_US.UTF-8"
> > LC_CTYPE = "de_CH.UTF-8"
> >
> > (LANG is en because I want to have my messages in English. Must LC_CTYPE
> > match?)
>
> The charsets should probably match. I'm not sure whether the de_CH
> instead of en_US in LC_CTYPE makes any difference, i.e. you could
> probably just leave LC_CTYPE unset. If you want Swiss German
> conventions for everything except messages, e.g. sorting, time, and
> money formats, you should set LANG=de_CH.UTF-8 and
> LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8.

Okay. Seems to work for what I want, which is my UI in
English. Thanks. I think in principle I don't even need the other stuff
in German, I originally wanted that for spell-checking IIRC, and I've
since scripted things so that the language used for spell-checking is
guessed based on the language of the email or document I am writing.

> > However if I send *myself* an email containing upper case an umlauted A,
> > O, or U I see garbage in mutt where the character should be

> I don't use mutt, so I can't really help here, but a mintty user
> reported that he had to rebuild mutt against ncursesw (which is now
> part of the Cygwin distribution) to get UTF-8 in mutt working:
> http://code.google.com/p/mintty/issues/detail?id=124#c28

Hmm. You mean to get any UTF-8 support at all? It's strange, because
until a few weeks ago I could see all my umlauts just fine, but I don't
know which of the changes since then have caused my problems - changing
to UTF-8 and the consequent change to mintty (thanks for it, btw! really
usable!), upgrading to cygwin 1.7, or something else (e.g. some config
file change(s)). I'll give it a go anyway...