Re: mintty - char encoding problems

David BalaÅic:
>> I'm puzzled by that, because the standards and formats setting
>> shouldn't have any effect on LANG, at least as far as mintty and
>> Cygwin are concerned. Any idea how it might have got set to "SL"?
>
> As I already mentioned, it is a fresh cygwin install.
> And since the problem is triggered by a simple change in the system
> prefs, anyone onterested can try it ;-)

Gee, thanks. No, I can't reproduce it.

Neither mintty nor Cygwin set LANG based on the Regional and Languages
section, nor does Windows itself. This means something else set it to
"SL". Is there any other Unixish software on your machine that might
be doing that? MS's "Services for Unix" perhaps? Emacs?

I understand you're no longer interested in this since you've solved
your problem, but it would nevertheless be good to know what happened
in case others hit this.

Andy