Re: terminfo [Re: console enhancements: mouse events etc]

Redirected to the cygwin list.

Thomas Wolff wrote:
> Charles Wilson wrote:
>> Thomas Wolff wrote:
>>
>>> Actually, I just remember again that I though I should change the
>>> terminfo entry too. Just - where's the source to patch?
>> So, send me patches against terminfo.src from that -src tarball, and
>> once we've got it figured out, I'll push it upstream to the ncurses
>> maintainer.
>>

> Sorry for the slightly late response. Attached is a small patch.
> Two notes:
> * I used the occasion to add PC graphics mode to the linux console, too,
> which have always been missing there.

I'm not sure about this.  The only situation where you'd be using the
cygwin terminfo database while interacting with a linux console is if
you were running a cygwin shell, under WINE, from a console mode linux
login.  Or maybe if you were remotely accessing a cygwin box from a
console mode linux session.  However, in both cases, the terminal
description would DIFFER from the one the actual linux box, the one
you'd be sitting in front of, uses.  This sounds like trouble to me.

I think the better approach -- doomed to rejection, unfortunately (*) --
is to submit this change directly upstream to ncurses (Thomas Dickey).
If it's picked up there, then it will filter down thru the linux
distributions, AND we'll get it.

(*) Thomas (Dickey) has a policy of accepting terminal description
changes ONLY from the maintainers of the emulator/console code: e.g.
konsole from the KDE devs, linux from lkml only, etc.

He's unlikely to accept a patch to the linux terminfo description from
us. But, give it a try anyway...

> * I patched "cygwinDBG" only for now, because if the patch goes
> upstream, the new VT100 graphics mode will not be available for remote
> login from an older cygwin console for a while. Feel free to modify the
> entry "cygwin" accordingly if you feel confident with it.

No, I think it would be best to update cygwin itself (and maybe
cygwinDBG. Anybody use that?)  If we want to add cygwin-old (cygwin-1p5?
suggestion for a better name?) for backwards compatibility, we can.  But
the current cygwin terminal description should describe the current
cygwin terminal capabilities.

BTW, does this "fix" 'pstree -G'?

I'll adapt and release an update relatively soon. Thanks for your
efforts, Thomas (Wolff).

Apologies, all, for the confusion about mailing lists.  My fault; I
suggested Thomas send "a patch" during a conversation on the the
-developers list.  I forgot to specify /where/ it should have been sent.
Sorry.

--
Chuck