Re: How to properly set up /etc/passwd and /etc/group

On 03/01/2010 12:05 AM, Wes Barris wrote:
I have installed cygwin on many systems.  One thing that has always
bugged me is that I have to muck around with the uid and gid in the
/etc/passwd and /etc/group files in order to get things working.
The mkpasswd and mkgroup commands don't seem to produce files that
work. I'm sure that I'm missing some fundamental knowledge about
this but I don't know what. I've read the mkpasswd man page, the
FAQ and searched for posts but have found nothing that helps me.

Here is a simple case. My home computer runs XP. I want my /cygwin
home directory to be the W drive (/cygdrive/w). After installing
cygwin and changing the home path in the /etc/passwd file to /cygdrive/w,
a long listing of my home directory shows a bunch of '?' question marks
as the owner and group fields like this:

drwxrwxrwt+ 1 ???????? ???????? 0 2010-01-10 17:13 Projects

What I normally end up doing is to list the directory with the '-n'
option that shows me the uid and gid information (in this case
both are 4294967295. I manually edit the /etc/passwd and /etc/group
files accordingly so that my directory listing looks like this:

drwxrwxrwt+ 1 wes admin 0 2010-01-10 17:13 Projects

What is the correct procedure for getting this set up correctly?

It's not really clear from the above because it's not clear whether you're in a domain or not. My guess is you are (since the above has some hints suggesting that). If so, use the '-l -d' flags for 'mkpasswd' and 'mkgroup'. That will get your domain as well as your local users/groups in those files. If that's overwhelming, check out the '-c' flag. These are all described in the man page and/or Users Guide if you need more info.

Holliston, MA 01746