Re: Feature Request: Allow cron to terminate with SIGHUP

On 2010/03/01 7:51 PM, Paul McFerrin wrote:
[...]
> Is there a reason [for cron] to catch SIGHUP?

cron, like many UNIX daemon programs, interprets SIGHUP as a signal to
close and reopen its log file. This is typically used to facilitate log
file rotation. It is quite unlikely that cron's maintainer would want to
change this.

> I would like to keep my running of
> cygwin.  I knew something changed, now I know.  With cron running all
> the time, it is more difficult to unload cygwin1.dll.

If you're not using cron for anything, you should probably just stop and
permanently remove the service, e.g.:

$ cygrunsrv -E cron
$ cygrunsrv -R cron

If you are using cron for something, then you'll have to remember to
stop the cron service whenever you want/need to shut down all cygwin
processes, e.g.:

$ cygrunsrv -E cron

This can get tedious if you have a number of cygrunsrv services
installed. Here is a little bash script that should stop them all:

#!/bin/bash
cygrunsrv -L |
while read service; do
    cygrunsrv -E "$service"