Re: Using setup.exe for a different computer

On Tue, 2 Mar 2010, Merek Thorondursson wrote:

Greetings, Merek,

Using setup.exe for a different computer
Tuesday March 02, 2010

I have looked through the FAQ's and archives for a solution
to my problem, but have gotten hopelessly lost and cannot
find anyone with the same problem.  The closest I found was
a (rather interesting) 2003 post about a CD installation.

I use two computers.  The one which is connected to the
Internet is a Windows 98 Second Edition machine.  The one
on which I hope to use Cygwin uses Windows XP Pro with SP2.

The setup.exe file I downloaded matches the Cygwin 1.7.x
installation, which is what I want.  However, the machine
I use to access the Internet is greeted with the error
message that Cygwin 1.7 doesn't run on Windows 95, 98 or ME
and suggests that I use an older 1.5 version.

At the moment, this is a hard error in setup. You might wish to appeal to the setup Gods for mercy in allowing a download-only option on older platforms.

I anticipate that setup.exe looks at the local operating
system prior to searching for/retrieving packages.  I don't
want to use an older 1.5 Cygwin on my XP box.  It has no
Internet connection, so I can't use it to fetch the packages.

I got the impression that setup.exe would download files
which could later be installed, and I planned to carry those
from this machine to that one via a USB flash drive.

What operation am I missing that will allow me to use this
Windows 98 SE machine to retrieve packages for 1.7?

You could setup a tunnel between the XP and 98 box with port forwarding on port 80 pointing to the mirror of your choice. I've done this using both SSH and stunnel many times before. It might take a little Googling to find a client for XP and server for Win 98, though.

Good luck.

Patiently yours

--- Merek

-- Peter A. Castro <doctor@fruitbat.org> or <Peter.Castro@oracle.com> "Cats are just autistic Dogs" -- Dr. Tony Attwood