Re: Installing a "copy" of an installation on a new computer

On 3/10/2010 12:13 PM, Thomas Wolff wrote:
On 10.03.2010 15:56, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
On 3/10/2010 2:38 AM, Olle Olsson wrote:
Hi,

I found the following
which might provide one practical solution. Will try this.

Thanks for the vote of confidence but since that was a fairly labor intensive way of doing it and came at a time when 'setup.exe' wasn't as equipped as it is today to handle this more directly, I would no longer advocate going that route. Using 'setup.exe' at the command line and specifying the packages you want is a better way to go.
As I understand the sparse description setup --help gives for -P, you
would have to list all packages separately.
I don't feel that's easier than to use a slightly modified copy of
installed.db.
An option to use a package list from a file (ignoring version
information) would be helpful,
and a hint how to get that information from an existing installation.

<http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2009-08/msg00247.html>. <http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2009-08/msg00250.html>

I was stating the supported and recommended method of doing what the
OP was asking for.  Using 'installed.db' is certainly another way.
It, however, relies on knowing information about the internal workings
of 'setup.exe' which is neither obvious nor guaranteed to be very
stable.  That was the basis for recommending against using the
'installed.db' technique.

Holliston, MA 01746