Re: bash exits when test or [ ] is used in Windows Server 2008

On Mar 12 13:00, Dick wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've just installed cygwin in Windows Server 2008, I've only selected
> rpm-build and libintl-2 as additional packages. During install there are
> no error messages.
>
> Then when I start cygwin my home directory isn't made and no profiles
> are created. And worse, when I try to start:
>
> bash-3.2$ test -e
>
> cygwin quits.
>
> bash-3.2$ [ ]
>
> does the same.
>
> What could be wrong? I've tried reinstalling cygwin a few times.

Is the 2K8 server running Terminal Services?  If so, you could stumble
over a bug in the TS application compatibility layer when running
applications which don't have the TS awareness flag set in their PE/COFF
header.  I reported that bug, but the frontlevel support refused to
follow up on this bug.

What you can do is, switch off DEP for all applications and reboot.  Now
you should be able to run all Cygwin applications.  Either keep it that
way or run the peflagsall script with the "-t 1" option, reset the DEP
setting and reboot again.

Occasionally after updating Cygwin you might have to run peflagsall
again.  This is supposed to get better over time, the more Cygwin
packages will have the TS-awareness flag from the start, now that gcc-4
sets the flag automatically.

Corinna

Red Hat