inconsistent slowness listing C:

I've been experiencing a weird problem with my Cygwin shells recently, which prompted me to install SFU. I've tried finding related information, but haven't found anything recent. I updated my Cygwin install about 2 to 3 weeks ago, so it should be quite recent.

The problem is that some commands sometimes take a very long time to complete. I've noticed this mostly when invoking the complete-word-fwd key binding (ie. using <Tab> to complete either commands, shell built-ins or pathnames) or when listing the contents of the root of drive C:. The weird thing about the ls command is that in most directories, it works fine, and it also works fine if I use the syntax "ls C:/", but is terribly slow if I use "ls /cygdrive/c/". I've got fairly complicated .login and .tcshrc scripts, but even after removing them entirely and setting PATH to simply "/bin:/sbin", I still see the same problem. It's very frustrating when you type the first 3 characters of a directory name, hit <Tab> and then see your terminal freeze for 60 seconds or more.
I generally use tcsh, but have the same problems with bash, too.

Here are some sample timings of 4 different ways of listing C, showing "ls C:/" taking between 10 ms and 30 ms, compared to "ls /cygdrive/c/" taking between 66420 ms and 68250 ms:

16:14:11 adam% set echo ; time ls C:/ ; time ls C: ; time ls /cygdrive/c/ ; time ls /cygdrive/c ; !#:7-9; !#:3-5; !#:15-17; !#:11-13; unset echo
set echo ; time ls C:/ ; time ls C: ; time ls /cygdrive/c/ ; time ls /cygdrive/c ; time ls C: ; time ls C:/ ; time ls /cygdrive/c ; time ls /cygdrive/c/ ; unset echo
ls C:/
!Profile                IO.SYS         System Volume Information             my.tcshrc
8824f0f55434edce38      MSDOS.SYS      UPLOADS                               ntldr
AUTOEXEC.BAT            MSOCache       VPC                                   pagefile.sys
Admin Consoles          NTDETECT.COM   WINDOWS                               super.txt
CONFIG.SYS              OutlookOST     adams.log                             tcsh.exe.stackdump
Catalyst                OutlookPST     bea                                   test
DOWNLOADS               PointBase      boot.ini                              tmp
Dell Optiplex 745       Program Files  installer_debug.txt                   work
Documents and Settings  RECYCLER       jakarta-service.log
Fun                     Restore.Point  jmx-console-cartridge-uninstall.html
0.046u 0.015s 0:00.03 166.6%    0+0k 0+0io 1855pf+0w
ls C:
ls: cannot access C:: No such file or directory
0.030u 0.015s 0:00.01 400.0%    0+0k 0+0io 2029pf+0w
ls /cygdrive/c/
!Profile                IO.SYS         System Volume Information             my.tcshrc
8824f0f55434edce38      MSDOS.SYS      UPLOADS                               ntldr
AUTOEXEC.BAT            MSOCache       VPC                                   pagefile.sys
Admin Consoles          NTDETECT.COM   WINDOWS                               super.txt
CONFIG.SYS              OutlookOST     adams.log                             tcsh.exe.stackdump
Catalyst                OutlookPST     bea                                   test
DOWNLOADS               PointBase      boot.ini                              tmp
Dell Optiplex 745       Program Files  installer_debug.txt                   work
Documents and Settings  RECYCLER       jakarta-service.log
Fun                     Restore.Point  jmx-console-cartridge-uninstall.html
0.030u 0.046s 1:06.42 0.1%      0+0k 0+0io 2025pf+0w
ls /cygdrive/c
!Profile                IO.SYS         System Volume Information             my.tcshrc
8824f0f55434edce38      MSDOS.SYS      UPLOADS                               ntldr
AUTOEXEC.BAT            MSOCache       VPC                                   pagefile.sys
Admin Consoles          NTDETECT.COM   WINDOWS                               super.txt
CONFIG.SYS              OutlookOST     adams.log                             tcsh.exe.stackdump
Catalyst                OutlookPST     bea                                   test
DOWNLOADS               PointBase      boot.ini                              tmp
Dell Optiplex 745       Program Files  installer_debug.txt                   work
Documents and Settings  RECYCLER       jakarta-service.log
Fun                     Restore.Point  jmx-console-cartridge-uninstall.html
0.030u 0.015s 1:08.25 0.0%      0+0k 0+0io 2025pf+0w
ls C:
ls: cannot access C:: No such file or directory
0.030u 0.030s 0:00.01 600.0%    0+0k 0+0io 2029pf+0w
ls C:/
!Profile                IO.SYS         System Volume Information             my.tcshrc
8824f0f55434edce38      MSDOS.SYS      UPLOADS                               ntldr
AUTOEXEC.BAT            MSOCache       VPC                                   pagefile.sys
Admin Consoles          NTDETECT.COM   WINDOWS                               super.txt
CONFIG.SYS              OutlookOST     adams.log                             tcsh.exe.stackdump
Catalyst                OutlookPST     bea                                   test
DOWNLOADS               PointBase      boot.ini                              tmp
Dell Optiplex 745       Program Files  installer_debug.txt                   work
Documents and Settings  RECYCLER       jakarta-service.log
Fun                     Restore.Point  jmx-console-cartridge-uninstall.html
0.030u 0.000s 0:00.01 300.0%    0+0k 0+0io 1852pf+0w
ls /cygdrive/c
!Profile                IO.SYS         System Volume Information             my.tcshrc
8824f0f55434edce38      MSDOS.SYS      UPLOADS                               ntldr
AUTOEXEC.BAT            MSOCache       VPC                                   pagefile.sys
Admin Consoles          NTDETECT.COM   WINDOWS                               super.txt
CONFIG.SYS              OutlookOST     adams.log                             tcsh.exe.stackdump
Catalyst                OutlookPST     bea                                   test
DOWNLOADS               PointBase      boot.ini                              tmp
Dell Optiplex 745       Program Files  installer_debug.txt                   work
Documents and Settings  RECYCLER       jakarta-service.log
Fun                     Restore.Point  jmx-console-cartridge-uninstall.html
0.030u 0.015s 1:08.17 0.0%      0+0k 0+0io 2025pf+0w
ls /cygdrive/c/
!Profile                IO.SYS         System Volume Information             my.tcshrc
8824f0f55434edce38      MSDOS.SYS      UPLOADS                               ntldr
AUTOEXEC.BAT            MSOCache       VPC                                   pagefile.sys
Admin Consoles          NTDETECT.COM   WINDOWS                               super.txt
CONFIG.SYS              OutlookOST     adams.log                             tcsh.exe.stackdump
Catalyst                OutlookPST     bea                                   test
DOWNLOADS               PointBase      boot.ini                              tmp
Dell Optiplex 745       Program Files  installer_debug.txt                   work
Documents and Settings  RECYCLER       jakarta-service.log
Fun                     Restore.Point  jmx-console-cartridge-uninstall.html
0.030u 0.030s 1:08.25 0.0%      0+0k 0+0io 2025pf+0w
unset echo
16:20:35adam%

Anyone have any idea what the problem might be, or how to diagnose or fix it?

cygcheck -s -v -r produces quite a bit of output. Please let me know if this information would be helpful (and if I should attach it in a separate file, or just paste it into the message body). Here, though, is the info on cygdll (which was listed 4 times in the cygcheck -s -v -r output, btw):

2419k 2009/12/07 C:\work\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygwin1.dll" v0.0 ts=2009/12/7 5:48
    Cygwin DLL version info:
        DLL version: 1.7.1
        DLL epoch: 19