Re: cygwin 1.7: why there is a directory E/cygwin/dev in the tree of cygwin ?

On Mar 17 19:28, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Mar 17 12:21, Eric Blake wrote:
> > On 03/17/2010 02:19 AM, rolandc wrote:
> > > I do not understand why the postinstall script bash.sh is so complex
> > >
> > >     DEVDIR="$(cygpath -au "C:/$(cygpath -am /dev/)" | sed 's|/c/\(.\):/|/\1/|')"
> > >     mkdir -p "$DEVDIR" || result=1
> > >
> > > it would be simple (too simple?) to
> > >     mkdir -p /dev || result=1
> >
> > Yes, it would be too simple.  /dev already exists, so the mkdir would
> > fail to do anything useful.  We REALLY want to create the underlying
> > Windows directory at the same location at where /dev would be mounted,
> > and to do that, we really do want to know the windows location (drive
> > letter and all) of /.  Then, by using mkdir of that fancy windows path
> > that happens to live at the same place as where /dev normally resolves
> > to, then we can guarantee that /dev/stdin gets created as an actual
> > symlink in the windows heirarchy (since it does NOT resolve via the /dev
> > magic mount point), and that tab-completion can see any contents placed
> > into the windows counterpart directory.
>
> Nothing of this should be necessary since the 000-cygwin-post-install.sh
> script from the base-cygwin package already creates /dev.

Just for clarification, the 000-cygwin-post-install.sh script creates
/dev to be able to create /dev/shm and /dev/mqueue.  These directories
must exist to enable the file-backed implementation of POSIX message
queues, semaphores, and shared memory.  Maybe in the long run we should
create these directories in setup.exe, just like so many other important
directories.

Corinna

Red Hat