Re: cygwin.com website

Thank you for your feedback. Firstly, I'd just like to say that my
proposal was inspired almost entirely by the current site. I'm happy
to adapt any ideas/comments/feedback or even consider a different
approach.

> There was another proposal and discussion about redesign in December and the idea to spend effort on this wasn't too well-received... :-\

Apart from feedback, the effort required would be almost entirely
donated by me. This includes development, installation of content and
packaging so it can be quickly uploaded and installed.  I will also be
available to provide maintenance and updates post-launch if necessary.

> Yet I dare to add my comments:
>
> ? * I would refrain from using dull MS default fonts, please! The
> ? ? MingW site referred to doesn't use the omnipresent non-font, either.

I can't imagine "Arial" not being considered omnipresent, but if you
prefer system default fonts, that would simply be a matter of editing
a single line in the CSS file (which I have done on the demo site to
show you how it will look - reminder: clear cache).

The "logo" is simply text generated by the browser (ie: no images have
been used). I tried to match the graphic on the current site.

> ? * I would rather not include obscure JavaScript snipplets pointing
> ? ? to google-analytics or doing some other "page tracking".

This has only been added for my own tracking purposes and wouldn't be
included in the production site.

> ? * To keep maintenance easy, layout should be strictly separated from
> ? ? existing contents (as I tried to demonstrate myself in the
> ? ? December dicsussion). This seems to be the case with the current
> ? ? proposal.

Yes, the layout (form) has been separated from the content.

Other features you may or may not have noticed:
* An HTML5 doctype
* Almost no graphics, fast loading
* Modular - PHP "includes" used for easy editing.
Header/Navigation/Right Column/Footer all in separate files. (PHP
doesn't have to be used of course, it was just a personal preference)
* An (optional) .htaccess file included to remove the extension
(".php") from the URIs, eg: cygwin.com/community instead of
cygwin.com/community.php
* Some CSS3 properties have been used to generate rounded corners and
text shadow effects in the header (Firefox/Safari/Chrome browsers
only)
* All sizing in "em"s - The layout will be maintained if the user
changes the font size.

The MinGW-W64 website also displays a live feed from the SourceForge
project page. This can be included if you like.

Looking forward to further feedback.

Cheers,
Brent