Re: text cursor is not being positioned

On 2010-03-23 12:30 AM, Lewis, John wrote:
My text cursor is not being positioned correctly. This is a fresh
install of 1.7.1-1 onto Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack
2.

In the bash shell the backspace key doesn't back up and overwrite the
last character, same with ctrl-U, the line remains on the screen, with
the cursor at the end.

The key strokes are being recognised, the characters have been removed
from the input buffer correctly.
I have the same issue with other tools, less and vi are unable to paint
the screen correctly, and the up arrow at the command line just appends
the history to the end of the current line.

There exists a .inputrc in my $HOME, renaming it out of the way didn't
change the behaviour. It contains (partially):

# the following line is actually
# equivalent to "\C-?": delete-char
"\e[3~": delete-char
# VT
"\e[1~": beginning-of-line
"\e[4~": end-of-line
# kvt
"\e[H": beginning-of-line
"\e[F": end-of-line

Show us the contents of your prompt PS1 these problem usually stems from that.