Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] mintty-0.6.1-1

Corinna Vinschen:
>> - Fall back to /bin/bash rather than /bin/sh if no shell is specified
>> otherwise. This is for the benefit of Windows domain account users,
>> for whom Cygwin setup does not create /etc/passwd entries by default.
>
> Wouldn't it be more helpful to open a MessageBox like this:
>
> "Your user account has no /etc/passwd entry. ÂAsk your lazy administrator
> Âto add it. ÂAnd tell her not to forget to add the domain groups to
> Â/etc/group while being at it."

:)

I was just trying to dodge complaints about not getting the full
prompt and .bashrc or .bash_profile not being sourced. Didn't mean to
imply that setup should query the domain user database.

It would have helped though if I'd verified that the change to
/bin/bash as fallback actually makes a difference. It doesn't, because
the Cygwin DLL sets the SHELL variable according to the user's
/etc/passwd entry and to /bin/sh otherwise. And /etc/profile warns
about the missing /etc/passwd entry anyway. So I think I'll revert
that change.

Andy