Re: Setup 2.693 unable to replace files through reboot

On 06/04/2010 20:57, René Berber wrote:
> Dave Korn wrote:
>
>> On 06/04/2010 17:23, Matthias Andree wrote:
>>
>>> 4. launch setup.exe (version 2.693)
>>   As administrator, or as ordinary user?
>>
>>> What's up? Can I help to debug this?
>>   Take a look in /var/log/{setup.log,setup.log.full}; there should be error
>> messages if it failed to schedule the replace on reboot that might give us a clue.
>
> I did have the exact same problem described by Matthias, Windows XP,
> user is in administrators group.
>
> The setup.log showed no error, just that the file (cygwin1.dll) was
> scheduled for replacement.  Sorry, don't have setup.log.full since after
> rebooting and checking that the file was not replaced I stopped the
> service that was blocking the replacement and reinstalled (didn't know
> that setup.exe overwrites that log).

  Hmm.  The docs suggest that the replace-on-reboot functionality

a) can't work on network drives
b) needs write access to the registry key:
"HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations"
c) may fail if "the System volume is a basic volume [ ... and ... ] the
destination drive or the source drive is located on a dynamic volume"

  Any of those apply to you guys?

    cheers,
      DaveK