RE: procps aborts on Cygwin 1.7.5

Chris January wrote on 2010-04-15:
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 10:13:30 -0500, "Thrall, Bryan" wrote:
>> thrall@pc1163-8413-xp ~/visual
>> $ procps
>>

>> Signal 6 (ABRT) caught by ps (procps version 3.2.7).
>> Please send bug reports to <feedback at lists.sf.net> or <albert at
>> users.sf.net>
>> thrall@pc1163-8413-xp ~/visual
>>
>> I believe this was working as of Cygwin 1.7.3.
>>
>> I am ignoring the request to send bug reports to sf.net because this
>> appears to be due to the Cygwin change; if that's not a good enough
>> reason, let me know and I'll forward this report to albert.
>
> Please try the suggestions you've already received and if the problem
> persists send the gzip'ed output of:
> strace procps

Interestingly, procps only aborts on one of my (bash) shells; the others do the following:

thrall@pc1163-8413-xp ~/clouddev/v9win
$ procps
thrall@pc1163-8413-xp ~/clouddev/v9win
$ echo $?
33
thrall@pc1163-8413-xp ~/clouddev/v9win
$ net helpmsg 33
The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file.

It looks like this is somehow linked to XWin; procps works OK when X isn't running and mostly works when I use startxwin.exe from a bash shell in a cmd window. However, my startxwin.bat in the Start menu Startup folder and startxwin.exe shortcuts in that folder mostly cause procps to abort (but not always).

This doesn't seem to be a deterministic thing, unfortunately. Sometimes I get a working procps after starting X, sometimes I don't; once procps has chosen to work or fail, however, it seems to stay that way until X exits.

Gzipped 'strace procps' when it aborts is attached in case it helps.
--
Bryan Thrall
FlightSafety International