"command not found"-For All Commands

Hello, I have recently downloaded cygwin with the hope of learning c++ for
school.....the download completed with no problems at all. I installed some
packages such as gcc4, util-linux, ncurses devel, pcre devel, openssl devel,
zlib devel, mintty etc.

Some Info:
-My machine is a Toshiba L505 Satellit running Windows 7 Ultimate.
-My programming experiance is limited to MATLAB

Now my problem is that I get the response "command not found" for any
commands other than echo on/off. I googled my heart away and found some
articles that I think are related, as a result I added a path to cygwins bin
by going through control panel. I didnt seem to work.

Some issues I found in common with others on the web is that typing
-sh-3.2# ls
-sh: ls: command not found
-sh-3.2#
Refering to a discussion on ls responding with "command not found"
(http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-10/msg00136.html) I looked in my bin to
see if ls is there...it is! I looked in my bin to see if fileutls is
there...its NOT and I couldnt find it on the packages list. Looking at the
packages list I found that fileutls is located in the package coreutils and
when I went to update cygwin it gives me the option of keeping this
package...which means I have it, so what am I doing wrong.

Some other thoughts, typing ls...like I stated earlier yields the response
command not found... but ls/ lists the files I see in bin.....so does
/usr/bin/ls.