Building DLLs on C++ version code failed, but okay on C version code.

Hi there,

I wrote a file, hello.c. It has only one function: print a message like
"hello!".
##### hello.c #########
#include <stdio.h>
void hello() { printf( "Hello.\n" ) ; }

$gcc -c hello.c
$gcc -shared -o hello.dll hello.o

I successufully built it as DLL, hello.dll.

Then, I rewrote it in c++.
##### hello.cpp #######
#include <iostream>
using namespace std ;
void hello() {cout << "Hello." << endl ;}

Then, I used the commands above to built DLL, but it failed. Why did it
fail?